Donald K. Burleson
Oracle MIG utility
1. You must start at 7.3.x (or higher)
release level of Oracle. A version 6 database must be migrated to at
least 7.3.x before it can be converted to Oracle.
2. Back up the source Oracle database, or perform a complete export.
3. Drop any users or roles named “migrate.”
4. Resolve all pending transactions in a distributed environment.
5. Bring all tablespaces online, or make sure they are offline
normal or temporary, not immediate. Resolve any save undo situations
in tablespaces (see migration manual).
6. Shut down normal (not immediate or abort).
7. Install the Oracle software. Do not do a “complete” install, as
this will attempt to build an Oracle instance and may damage your
existing instance beyond recovery. Do a partial, software-only,
8. Install the MIG utility into the Oracle7 ORACLE_HOME by using OUI
from X-windows on UNIX or its equivalent on your operating system.
9. Unset the TWO_TASK environmental variable on UNIX, or
ORA_DFLT_HOLSTER on VMS.
10. Set the following init.ora parameter (or its equivalent location
on your system):
This is an
excerpt by Mike Ault’s book “Oracle
Administration & Management”. If you want more current Oracle tips
by Mike Ault, check out his new book “Mike
Ault’s Oracle Internals Monitoring & Tuning Scripts” or
Ault’s Oracle Scripts Download.
Copyright © 1996 - 2014 by
Burleson. All rights reserved.
Oracle® is the registered trademark
of Oracle Corporation.