Donald K. Burleson
Oracle SGA Issues
One thing to remember: If you
overspecify the shared memory size on UNIX, you may get into a
situation known as swapping. This is where all or part of your
application is swapped out to disk because physical memory just
isn’t large enough to hold it all. Needless to say, this has a very
negative impact on performance. Usually, overspecification of the
SGA on UNIX will lead to not being able to start the database.
Oracle job responsibilities
What Is the Number of Users—Administrative, Developer, and
We’ve already looked at the responsibilities of the DBA or
administrative user; now we need to answer what are the normal
responsibilities of the other user types? According to the Oracle8
Server Administrator’s Guide, they are:
Oracle Developmental Responsibilities
1. Design and develop database applications.
2. Design the database structure for an application.
3. Estimate storage requirements for an application.
4. Specify modifications of the database structures for an
5. Keep the database administrator informed of required changes.
6. Tune the application (not the database!) during development.
7. Establish an application’s security requirements during
This is an
excerpt by Mike Ault’s book “Oracle
Administration & Management”. If you want more current Oracle tips
by Mike Ault, check out his new book “Mike
Ault’s Oracle Internals Monitoring & Tuning Scripts” or
Ault’s Oracle Scripts Download.
Copyright © 1996 - 2014 by
Burleson. All rights reserved.
Oracle® is the registered trademark
of Oracle Corporation.