Donald K. Burleson
There are numerous database-specific
questions to answer before installation:
* What is the number and size of database tablespaces? What is file
placement? How many potential applications? How will extent
management for tablespaces be handled (dictionary or local managed)?
* What are the SGA issues?
* What is the number of users, administrative, developer, and
* What is the number and placement of control files?
* What is the number and placement of redo logs?
* What is the number and placement of rollback segments? Will new
UNDO tablespaces be used?
* Will this database be shared between multiple instances (Oracle
* Will this database be distributed?
* Should the tools be linked single-task or independent (two-task)?
* Do we need to plan for external Oracle-managed files or BFILE
Let’s examine each of these as they relate to installation of
What Is the Number and Size of Database Tablespaces? What Is File
Placement, the Number of Potential Applications?
These are disk space and create-script-related issues. The number of
potential applications will drive the number and size of database
tablespaces above and beyond the eight base tablespaces. You will
see that these are:
This is an
excerpt by Mike Ault’s book “Oracle
Administration & Management”. If you want more current Oracle tips
by Mike Ault, check out his new book “Mike
Ault’s Oracle Internals Monitoring & Tuning Scripts” or
Ault’s Oracle Scripts Download.
Copyright © 1996 - 2014 by
Burleson. All rights reserved.
Oracle® is the registered trademark
of Oracle Corporation.